Monday, January 12, 2009

How to Play Class 5 Starting Hands

This is a must read by "JoyOfPoker"

Playing Class 5 Starting Hands

Hi Everyone,

Today I'd like to talk about a class of starting hands that most people just fold preflop.
Most poker players know how to play big cards like Kings and Tens, they know how to play pocket pairs and how to play "any two suited cards"; but, only the serious pros know how to play Class 5 starting hands.
I tell my students all the time that if they can't put you on a hand, they can't beat you. So, I offer you a hand that I am particularly proud of.Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $2/$4 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)
SB: $272.90
BB: $1,174.25
Hero (UTG): $756.00
MP: $828.10
CO: $404.20
BTN: $802.40Preflop:
Hero is dealt J 3 (6 Players)Hero raises to $8.00,
MP raises to $28.00,
4 folds, Hero calls $20.
This hand is a Class 5 starting hand. It has the advantage of being able to make a big straight with the Jack, a small straight with the 3 and two different flushes.
I am in the best position at the table. Both blinds are forced to put money in preflop without knowing their cards and I have the immediate position on them and am first to act. I make a standard raise to isolate. MP goes crazy with a huge raise which is a sign of weakness so I call to outplay him postflop.
At some point in the hand, I hope to put him to a decision for all my chips.
Flop: ($62) 5 K A (2 Players)
Hero bets $8.00,
MP raises to $60.00,
Hero calls $52.00.
OK, that's a pretty good flop for my hand.
I hit all my potential back door draws. Both straights are still live as is my spade flush draw. At this point I put out a feeler bet to see where I stand. He raises me huge again which is almost always a bluff. If he had a real hand, he would probably bet $20 to string me along. I tell my students all the time: It's important to understand that when people bet so transparently, you have to go with your reads and trust your postflop skills.
Turn: ($182) 3 (2 Players)
Hero checks,
MP bets $150.00,
Hero calls $150.
Based on his preflop and flop errors, I put him on 78 offsuit or 9T suited. Turn is an easy check to allow him to keep bluffing off his chips because I'm ahead 90% of the time. Remember: You can beat all levels of NLHE with aggressive check/calling.
River: ($482) 3 (2 Players)
Hero bets $20.00,
MP raises to $360.00, Hero raises to $518.00 (all-in),
MP calls $158.00. Now, I know this river play is an advanced concept and will go over many heads in this forum. It's probably more suited for the top 1% of poker players and guys like grimstarr and ImsaKidd will "get it" right away. But, I'll offer it to the few who might understand.
The river play is a Level 4 blocker. I want him to think that I think that he thinks that I think I have a weak hand that just wants to get to showdown. He falls into my trap and makes a bluffy raise. When people's raise amount have a "6" in it, they are almost always bluffing.
So, I push the nuts, he calls, and shows... AK of hearts
Hero takes down a nice pot. Now that we know both the hands, it's obvious villain misplayed all streets and made a crying call on the end. I doubt he even considered putting me on a Class 5 starting hand, which turned out to be his downfall. Also, remember that the second most misplayed hand in poker is AK, so don't fall into the same trap as this guy did. I hope you all were helped a little and I shall see you at the tables.joy

5 comments:

  1. I'm assuming that is a joke right??? I just skimmed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am def going to implement these class 5 starting hand strategies into my game. Ha. Funny article

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait a second?
    He had top two pair and you sucked him out with runner runner? and you call that GOOD play??
    Haha you are the donk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. u all got leveled

    wow

    ReplyDelete
  5. B+ level

    also, epic bump :)

    ReplyDelete